VALBEC seeks a Conference Administrator
JOB TITLE: VALBEC Conference Administrator (Contractor)
The Victorian Adult Literacy and Basic Education Council (VALBEC) is a not for profit, volunteer managed, professional organisation that has represented the adult literacy, numeracy and basic education fields in Victoria for 40 years. The council’s core business is to provide information and professional development support for members and the wider field.
VALBEC organizes an annual, one-day conference, usually in May, at a central Melbourne venue. The conference is organized by a conference committee, headed by a convener who is usually a VALBEC committee member. Speakers and presenters are selected and briefed by the conference committee. About 100 VALBEC members and educators from Melbourne, regional Victoria and interstate usually attend the conference.
JOB TYPE: short term contract, from November to June each year
LOCATION: Melbourne / within commuting distance of the CBD. Home office or existing business location, as VALBEC does not maintain an office
SUPERVISOR/MANAGER: The VALBEC Conference Convener (usually a VALBEC Committee member)
Web site (usually part of VALBEC website)
- Set up a website or web pages to:
- collect call for papers responses
- provide information and promotion of Conference
- Create web pages suitable for mobile devices
- Provide pages for program, registration and other information based on information provided by Convenor
- Keep Conference website up-to-date with speakers, program, etc.
- Create pages which allow online registration and payment (including online payments), etc.
- Post-conference – load files from workshops onto the web site.
Promotion and Registration
- Prepare submission page for call for papers
- Prepare registration form (program details, speaker information, etc.)
- Create database of conference attendees
- Send promotional and reminder notices to email database
- Receive registration payments (or invoice as required)
- Monitor registration and report regularly to Conference Convenor
- Prepare and send receipt/confirmation letter (electronic)
- Handle phone and email enquiries
- Manage social media
- With Conference Convenor, organise venue booking
- Pay for venue hire
- Organise catering and liaise with venue and caterer on numbers, catering requirements
- Liaise with venue on AV needs, etc
- In conjunction with Conference Convenor, create timeline for tasks
- In conjunction with Conference Convenor prepare budget, set fees
- Develop program format for brochure – timings, keynote, workshops, etc.
- Co-ordinate displays
- Prepare name tags
- Collate participant kit
- Produce and print day program
- Staff the administration desk during conference
- Liaise with the VALBEC Conference Convenor and Committee
- Liaise with workshop presenters
- Arrange for transport and accommodation for speakers where required
- Arrange gifts for presenters if required (or single donation)
- Create, collect, collate evaluation information and prepare summary of evaluation forms
- Chase outstanding payments
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Event or project management, ICT or other related field of tertiary study
- Recent conference administration and management of all aspects of conference to budget
- Event or project management involving educators or community sector
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office, Google Docs and website management skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills in using databases, conference registration and online payment collection systems
- Intermediate to advanced skills in managing social media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organized and able to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of the teaching of Adult Literacy and Numeracy in Victoria
- Understanding of the Learn Local and/or TAFE environment
- Website established and maintained
- Publicity material produced to a high standard
- Database established and maintained in a timely manner
- Registrations managed accurately and fees collected
- Social media pages established and maintained
- All documents required for conference produced on time
- Handle enquiries & issues professionally at conference admin desk
- Troubleshoot at conference as required
- Payments made to venue and other suppliers
- Accurate accounts presented to the Conference Convenor and the VALBEC Committee.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST:
Expressions of interest are welcomed, showing options and ideas for providing conference administration, together with a quotation for the work involved.
This position is a short term contract, initially for one conference.