Considering a role on the committee?
Are you considering nominating for the Victorian Adult Literacy and Basic Education Council (VALBEC) executive committee?
As a member of the committee you will experience a strong sense of collegiality and involvement in the ongoing work of VALBEC in providing professional development, resources and engagement with issues related to adult LLN teaching and learning in Victoria and nationally.
Role and Responsibilities:
As a member of the committee you are required to:
- Attend meetings regularly, either face to face (7) or by teleconference (3)
- Send an apology to the secretary if unable to attend
- Read the agenda and minutes before the meeting
- Scrutinise and approve financial reports
- Complete tasks and report back to committee in a timely manner.
Additionally, you can participate in several other ways including:
- attending forums and other meetings related to adult literacy and education
- writing articles or seeking stories/writers for Fine Print
- contributing ideas and material for eVALBEC, VALBEC website and social media
- writing project proposals, reports, correspondence or promotional material.
- using your networks to seek information about adult literacy issues at local, national or international levels; report back issues, concerns or relevant activities
- promoting VALBEC activities and Fine Print.
As a committee member, you can join a sub-committee responsible for:
- Marketing and social media
- Annual Conference
- Workshops and forums
- Other projects
- Fine print committee (meets separately)
There are opportunities to represent VALBEC on a range of groups and industry or government consultations such as
- ACAL representative
- Curriculum Maintenance Manager – General & Further Education
- ACE peaks
- Reading & Writing Hotline
- State Library Victoria
- Neighbourhood Houses Victoria
- Other curriculum and policy consultations.
We encourage members to contact someone on the current committee to discuss nomination and involvement. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.